Sausage, White Bean and Cabbage Soup (Serves 6)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, small dice (about 2 cups chopped)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound mild Italian chicken sausage
- 4-5 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 head green cabbage (I used savoy)
Saute onions until tender, about 8 minutes.
Add carrots and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
Season with salt, pepper, garlic and red pepper flakes; cook for another minute.
Remove sausage from casing and break into small chunks in the pot.
Toss with vegetables to brown meat, cooking for another 8-10 minutes.
Pour in stock, enough to cover everything; bring to a simmer.
Add white beans and cabbage, stirring to combine.
Simmer, covered, until cabbage is wilted but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
Generally the sausage will contain enough salt for the soup, but check seasoning and add more salt or pepper if needed.
For a printable recipe click here