Monday, October 25, 2010

Chicken Sausage, White Bean and Cabbage Soup

Nothing beats spending time with close friends and I got to do just that this weekend in LA. One of my college roommates is getting married in December and just had a bachelorette/ bridal shower weekend. Weddings are a great motivator to get friends together, regardless of where we all live. For this particular weekend, I got to spend time with three of my closest college friends who now live in Texas, San Francisco and LA. Considering the fact I live in North Carolina, we don't get to see each other that often. So hopefully our whole group of friends will just continue to get married so that we can all see each other on a somewhat regular basis. :) But marriages or otherwise, it is always wonderful to spend time with close friends.
This weekend was a great couple of days of relaxing by the pool, catching up and eating great food. But with only two days in LA and two long cross-country flights on either end, I was totally worn out when I got home this morning. After a short nap to try to recover from a red-eye home, I dragged myself out of bed and attempted to start my week as usual. A trip to the grocery store was, of course, in order as was trying to decide what I wanted to make for dinner. The rainy, gray day we had today, combined with being drained from the weekend, made me want something hot and comforting, without too much effort. A hot bowl of soup was exactly what I needed. Something hearty and healthy that I could feel good about eating that would also make me feel better after a long day. This soup combines the protein of chicken and beans with the healthy crunch of green cabbage. The red pepper flakes add a slight touch of heat in the background while the fennel in the sausage adds a subtle sweetness. Served with some toasted bread, it's an entire meal in one bowl that's both satisfying and comforting.

Sausage, White Bean and Cabbage Soup (Serves 6)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium white onion, small dice (about 2 cups chopped)
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 pound mild Italian chicken sausage
  • 4-5 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 head green cabbage (I used savoy)
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
Saute onions until tender, about 8 minutes.
Add carrots and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
Season with salt, pepper, garlic and red pepper flakes; cook for another minute.
Remove sausage from casing and break into small chunks in the pot.
Toss with vegetables to brown meat, cooking for another 8-10 minutes.
Pour in stock, enough to cover everything; bring to a simmer.
Add white beans and cabbage, stirring to combine.
Simmer, covered, until cabbage is wilted but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
Generally the sausage will contain enough salt for the soup, but check seasoning and add more salt or pepper if needed.

For a printable recipe click here


Chicken Sausage, White Bean and Cabbage Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment