Goat Cheese Smashed Potatoes with Spring Vegetables (serves 2, with leftovers)
- 1 lbs. red-skinned new potatoes, halved if large
- 4 oz fresh goat cheese, flavored if desired
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup milk (if needed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 large garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 medium Lebanese squash (or zucchini), chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped small
- 1 15oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
Cover the pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
Once boiling, season water with a generous (1 tsp +) pinch of salt and boil potatoes uncovered until tender, about 12-15 minutes.
Drain potatoes and return to hot pan.
Stir in goat cheese and butter, mashing potatoes with a fork or potato masher.
Add milk if needed to make potatoes easier to mix.
While potatoes are boiling, heat oil in a large saute pan.
Add garlic and saute for a minute.
Add mushrooms and cook until mostly browned, about 4-5 minutes.
Add squash and season with salt (1/2 tsp or so) and pepper (1/4 tsp or so).
Saute for about 8 minutes, until squash is nearly tender.
Add in sun-dried tomatoes, white beans and vinegar, cooking for another couple of minutes to heat through.
Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve vegetables over mashed potatoes and enjoy!
For a printable recipe click here