Butternut Squash, Arugula and Goat Cheese Quinoa (serves 2 for dinner or 4 sides)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 3 cups chopped)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- 4-5 cups arugula (about 4 big handfuls)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 oz goat cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted (optional for garnish)
Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
Toss butternut squash with about 1 tbsp olive oil (possibly less, just enough to coat) and season with salt and pepper. Spread in one layer on cookie sheet.
Roast butternut squash for 20-25 minutes, until fork tender.
While squash is roasting, combine quinoa and water or stock in a saucepan. If using water, season with 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, butternut squash, arugula, 1 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar and crumbled goat cheese. Season with a pinch more salt and pepper. Toss well to mix everything and wilt arugula.
Serve immediately, garnished with toasted nuts, if desired.
For a printable recipe click here