Black Bean Chili with Butternut Squash and Swiss Chard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 cups total)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 x 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2.5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 x 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard, stems removed and leaves chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Grated cheddar cheese, chopped onion, for garnish (if desired)
Saute onions until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
Add garlic, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for another minute.
Stir in butternut squash, chili powder and cumin. Saute for a few minutes.
Add beans, stock and tomatoes (with juices); bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender, 15-20 minutes.
Add in Swish chard in batches. It might seem like way too many greens for the amount of chili but it will wilt down. Stir in each batch until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes total.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve chili with a scoop of rice or toasted bread and top with cheddar cheese or chopped onion, if desired.
For a printable recipe click here