Friday, July 23, 2010

Miso Soba Noodles

I've spent the last few days gluing, stuffing, stamping and sorting my wedding invitations so I haven't had much time to write. Fortunately they are done (and look beautiful!) and have been mailed off. With that out of the way, I have a few days to catch up on writing and some tv shows, like Top Chef, before the next wedding project gets under way. I hadn't realized how many details and decisions go in to planning a wedding! But it's all fun and I'm very excited. :)

So anyway, I promised in my last post to write about the soba noodles that I made with the Miso Steak, using the same dressing. I loved the way the dressing coated the noodles and gave a ton of flavor to the mushrooms and snap peas. The miso and ginger also mellowed out a bit when cooked as opposed to the tangy flavors of the salad. The two dishes go great together or this noodle dish would also work on its own or with some shrimp tossed in with the stir-fried vegetables. Soba noodles can be found in the Asian section of most supermarkets but any pasta would work. I love the nutty taste of buckwheat in the soba noodles and they only take about 3-4 minutes to cook, which is always appreciated.

Miso Soba Noodles
  • 8 oz soba noodles
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 4-6 oz assorted mushrooms, sliced
  • 8 oz (or about 2 cups) snap peas, trimmed
  • 6-8 tbsp miso dressing
  • 1/2 cup water, from pasta pot
Boil a large pot of water and cook the soba noodles about 3-4 minutes. Reserve some of the starchy pasta water to thin out the dressing.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Saute the mushrooms until they begin to brown, about 5-8 minutes.
Add the snap peas and 3 tbsp miso dressing.
Pour in about 1/3 cup pasta water and stir to combine.
Cook the vegetables until the snap peas are crisp tender, about 10 minutes. Add more water if the pan becomes dry.
Toss the noodles in with the vegetables, adding more dressing to coat the noodles.
Remove from heat as soon as everything is combined and warmed through.

For a printable recipe click here

1 comment:

  1. I'm just figuring out if this post will work... I've never posted a comment before. BTW i check the blog about twice a week - keep up the good work - and the steak looks amazing!
    Heidi Smith

    ReplyDelete