Black Beans and Rice
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and minced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
Saute onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno. Season with cumin, oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
With the back of a spoon, mash about 1/3 of the beans. Add the beans to the pan.
Add tomatoes, orange juice and hot pepper sauce (if desired).
Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Remove the cover and simmer for a couple minutes more to reduce the liquid. Adjust the seasoning.
Serve the bean mixture over the cooked rice.
For a printable recipe click here