Monday, November 30, 2009

Conquering my fear of Salmon


Salmon is one of those foods that doctors, magazines and health gurus tell you to eat. It's full of healthy omega-3s and all that but it can definitely be intimidating if you aren't used to cooking it. I decided to give it a try and was very pleased with the results. So if you like salmon, I highly recommend giving it a try at home. It's much cheaper than ordering it at a fancy seafood restaurant and actually isn't as hard to prepare as I had thought.

The following recipe is my take on one of Bobby Flay's recipes in his cookbook Boy Gets Grill. It was super easy and absolutely delicious. By cooking the salmon on the stovetop, I was able to monitor the doneness of the fish. I prefer my salmon very lightly cooked and this was an easy way to prevent overcooking. But feel free to cook to your desired doneness.

The vinaigrette came from what I had on hand and the tangy sweetness paired perfectly with the spiciness of the salmon. It even tasted good on the couscous and asparagus I made with the salmon! So don't let this impressive fish scare you away. Making it at home is easy, delicious, and definitely good for you.

Vinaigrette:
  • 3 T red wine vinegar
  • 2 T dijon mustard, regular or coarse grain works
  • 2 T honey
  • 1/2 c olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
Add all ingredients together in a sealed container and shake well.

Salmon (with skin on):

Dust the flesh of the salmon with jerk seasoning (any variety will do) and some black pepper. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet. When oil is fairly hot, put salmon in skin side down for about 5 minutes. Allow the skin to get fully crispy (it tastes much better this way) and then flip the salmon. Cook for another 5 minutes or longer depending on how done you want it. The spices will get crisp as well and create a crust on the salmon. Serve with the vinaigrette and any sides you like. Enjoy!

For a printable recipe click here

No comments:

Post a Comment