Slow Cooked Chicken and Rice Soup (serves 4-6)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2.5 - 3 cups mixed vegetables (I used broccoli and cauliflower florets)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped (I used 2 large chicken breasts)
- 1 cup water
- 6-7 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Pour in 1 cup water and enough chicken stock to fully cover everything.
Season with bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. This just gets better the longer you cook it.
Season with a bit more salt and pepper if needed.
For a printable recipe click here