Thursday, September 23, 2010

Spiced Israeli Couscous with Cashews

My wedding is in two days!! I'm so excited, if you couldn't already tell. So what am I doing blogging, you ask? I've been meaning to do a post at least once this week since I've been mostly absent for the past couple of weeks and I'll be in Costa Rica next week for my honeymoon (horray!). However, today is the first day of the week that I've had time to sit down and write anything. All of the planning, most of it at least, is done and now I just have to wait till things get started tomorrow and try not to get too nervous. I'm feeling pretty calm as of now but we'll see how long that lasts. Despite how hectic the last few weeks have been, my regular life hasn't come to a complete halt. I still have to do laundry, feed the dog, and yes, I even still cook. I have cut back on making elaborate dishes or even trying a lot of new things but rather I've been cooking a lot of favorites and simple meals that I've done before.

This meal combined two things that I've made before--honey mustard salmon and roasted broccoli--with a new side dish that I created to compliment the flavors in the salmon glaze. I decided to play off the cumin in the salmon glaze and combine some Indian flavors to dress up the Israeli couscous. Adding spices to any grain--rice, quinoa, barley--is a simple way to make a creative side dish and get away from making the same thing night after night. I finished the couscous with chopped cashews to add a nice crunch and that delicious salty, sweetness unique to cashews. This recipe could easily be adjusted to include more or less of any of the spices--more cayenne if you want it spicy, for example--and peanuts could be used in the place of cashews.


Spiced Israeli Couscous with Cashews
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup Israeli couscous
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • Pinch garam masala
  • Pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock (water also works)
  • 1/3 cup cashews, roughly chopped
Heat olive oil in a sauce pot over medium heat.
Add couscous and toast for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in all of the spices and toast for a few more minutes, until spices are fragrant and couscous is lightly browned.
Add stock and bring to a boil.
Cover and turn the heat to low, cooking for 8-10 minutes, until liquid is gone and couscous is tender.
Fluff with a fork and stir in chopped cashews.

For a printable recipe click here


Spiced Israeli Couscous With Cashews

2 comments:

  1. The couscous looks amazing!!
    Congrats on the upcoming event! I really can't believe you made time to blog... I was losing my mind two days before my wedding ;p
    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe you blogged today! Only 2 more days...woohoo!! By the way, this meal looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete