Thursday, April 8, 2010

Chicken in Mushroom and White Wine Sauce

I was completely stumped tonight on what to make for dinner. I was feeling totally uninspired at the grocery store today and just picked up a few things to try to come up with something at home. This is not a strategy I recommend. It's much better to make a plan before going to the store to ensure buying the right ingredients and not missing anything when cooking starts. I usually do this myself but for whatever reason I couldn't think of anything I wanted to make earlier today. So I ended buying a package of portobello mushrooms, chicken breasts, and asparagus (which are in season right now and absolutely fantastic). With these simple ingredients and a few things I had on hand, I managed to make a pretty good version of a dish I made in one of my cooking classes earlier this year. The dish we made in class is Chicken Chardonnay, a classic mix of mushrooms, Chardonnay and cream served over breaded chicken. The version I made is much lighter but still full of flavor. I used portobellos because that's what I bought, but any mushrooms would work. I also had a bottle of Verdejo, a white wine from the Rueda region of Spain, on hand so I used that instead of Chardonnay. Any dry white wine will work fine. I served the chicken over bulgur cooked in chicken broth with a side of roasted asparagus. For not much planning, this turned out to be a great weeknight meal.

Chicken in Mushroom and White Wine Sauce
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1-1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1 tbsp low-sodium grill seasoning, or a combination of garlic salt, pepper and cayenne
  • 2 portobello mushroom caps, cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
Season both sides of the chicken with grill seasoning or spice mixture.
When oil is hot, place chicken in the pan and cook on one side for about 5-8 minutes, till golden brown on the bottom.
Flip the chicken over and finish cooking through, another 5-8 minutes, depending on the thickness.
Remove chicken and reserve on a plate; cover with tinfoil.
Toss the mushrooms in the same saute pan.
Allow to brown for a few minutes before seasoning with salt and pepper; cook until tender.
Pour in the white wine, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan; reduce by about half.
Pour in the chicken stock, let boil for a few minutes and adjust the seasoning to taste.
Slice the chicken and serve over bulgur or rice and cover with the sauce.

For a printable recipe click here


Chicken In Mushroom and White Wine Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment